Member Login

Eau Gallie Yacht Club derives its name from the town where it began.  The land that became the town of Eau Gallie, loosely translated French and Indian for “rocky water”, was acquired, founded, and platted by William H Gleason in 1870.   Its location is where the fresh waters of the Eau Gallie River flow into the Indian River just south of the southern tip of Merritt Island and the mouth of the Banana River.  It proved a good hurricane hole and access to traveling and trading up and down the Indian River.

As the town grew and boating was a major activity, a local yacht club was started in 1907. The first Commodore was George Paddison and 3 years later the Paddisons deeded the property fronting on the Eau Gallie River to the club.  An official club facility was completed 2 years later in 1912 which was the size of a 2 story house.  The club burgee is unique as having a Pattee cross, of French heraldry and used by the knights of the Crusades, surrounded by a royal blue circle on a white triangular pennant.  In its early years the club conducted many local, state, and national sailing regattas and an international regatta in 1936.

World War II saw the Commodore and many of the club’s gentlemen members leave to join the military.  To keep the club going, Mrs. Susan T. Edwards was bestowed the title of Commodore Emeritus as she stepped in to run Eau Gallie Yacht Club.  Another prominent woman member, Mrs. Carol H. Gleason, wife of Lansing Gleason whose family would again play an important role in the future of the club, also served in ways doing whatever was needed.  As yachting increased along the Intracoastal waterway, Eau Gallie Harbor and in turn Eau Gallie Yacht Club became a natural stopping spot.  The area’s population grew and access across the ICW to the barrier island was improved as small communities were started.

It was in 1959 that the Club launched a new chapter in its history.  The membership voted to dispose of the old clubhouse property and seek a new location on which to build and operate a new full-time Club with adequate docking and parking facilities.  As long-time and devoted members of the Club, the Gleason family generously gave over three acres in Indian Harbour Beach on the barrier island to the Club for its new home which is now its current location.  The Club’s membership expanded from a roster of 70 names in 1959 to over three hundred-two years later when the new clubhouse was opened on December 23, 1961. 

With continued growth in membership and facilities, the Club’s reputation grew, and in January of 1982 Eau Gallie Yacht Club became the 25th member of the Florida Council of Yacht Clubs.  This enabled its members to enjoy the benefits of reciprocity with the other council clubs and join them in working to protect yachting interests throughout the State of Florida

More than 100 plus years have passed since the founding of Eau Gallie Yacht Club.  Many changes have been made through the years, however, the mission to bring enjoyment to its members remains.  Continued improvements of facilities and programs are launching Eau Gallie Yacht Club into its second century.